This morning I made Dan get up bright and early to go horseback riding. First I have to talk about breakfast and our hosts. I love this place. We have a whole place the size of a studio apartment and our hosts are so ridiculously nice and helpful. I was kind of hoping they would adopt me :) If you are ever in Denmark go to Nabolsa Bed and Breakfast which is located just outside of Nyburg (pronounced New-borg). Our breakfast was fresh, delicious rolls along with amazing marmelade, a grapefruit, brie and grapes, and eggs. I didn't even get to the yogurt or muesli. Plus the coffee was perfect. So, we went to Tyburg, which I can't even find on our map, to go horseback riding. Our guide was actually the owner of the stable and they have 18 horses, most are Arabians. Since I had some experience riding she put me up on an Arabian named King Khan Kit that they call Kit. He was beautiful. He was also really tall and I had a heck of a time getting my leg up and over. I'd have loved to go for a gallop, but it just wasn't in the cards for today. Anyway, we had a quiet amble through the country and it was so nice to be out on a beautiful horse. The stable building was built in the late 1880s and through that you can see a peak at the main house which was fabulous. I decided right then and there that I was moving in. Afterward it was time for a shower and then we tried to go see the Viking ship grave in Ladby, but after getting lost and finally figuring out the correct GPS coordinates we arrived and it was closed. It is not yet tourist season here, so unfortunately many things were closed. I was kind of upset because the gift shop looked really good.
Then we went to Ketemind and stopped at the antique store that we had been eying yesterday. It was a very good find. The owner was really knowledge and nice. I found a beautiful Danico pottery vase from the 20's, in fact I found two and it was very hard to decide which one to buy. I also got a blue and white Royal Copenhagen creamer that was made in 1926. Then as I was checking out I saw a sweet white with a blue stripe around the top egg holder and I snatched it up. The owner taught us how to determine the age of the Royal Copenhagen and so Dan and I had to go hunting for the older pieces. We then went to the marina restaurant and had some fish and shrimp overlooking the marina. Oh, all those boats.
We drove to Nyburg to go visit a really cool castle, but it was closed. We gave up on Nyburg and headed to Odense. There we found old world charm with new world facilities. Including a bathroom on the street that you can put in 5 Kroners (about 1 USD). So, I put the money in and went into the bathroom and in trying to open it I unlocked the door. I then had to wait for the bathroom to self clean and put in another 5K and try again. Odense is a very charming city and it made for a very good end of the day. That and the beer and smoked salmon. As we were driving home there were sailboats out on the water having a race. It was picture postcard perfect and I wished I was out there with them.
Tomorrow we are bound for London and I will sorely miss the people and this beautiful country.
Then we went to Ketemind and stopped at the antique store that we had been eying yesterday. It was a very good find. The owner was really knowledge and nice. I found a beautiful Danico pottery vase from the 20's, in fact I found two and it was very hard to decide which one to buy. I also got a blue and white Royal Copenhagen creamer that was made in 1926. Then as I was checking out I saw a sweet white with a blue stripe around the top egg holder and I snatched it up. The owner taught us how to determine the age of the Royal Copenhagen and so Dan and I had to go hunting for the older pieces. We then went to the marina restaurant and had some fish and shrimp overlooking the marina. Oh, all those boats.
We drove to Nyburg to go visit a really cool castle, but it was closed. We gave up on Nyburg and headed to Odense. There we found old world charm with new world facilities. Including a bathroom on the street that you can put in 5 Kroners (about 1 USD). So, I put the money in and went into the bathroom and in trying to open it I unlocked the door. I then had to wait for the bathroom to self clean and put in another 5K and try again. Odense is a very charming city and it made for a very good end of the day. That and the beer and smoked salmon. As we were driving home there were sailboats out on the water having a race. It was picture postcard perfect and I wished I was out there with them.
Tomorrow we are bound for London and I will sorely miss the people and this beautiful country.
No comments:
Post a Comment