Oh Denmark. This place is wonderful. It is so pleasant and so easy to get around. Day one and two were spent wandering around Copenhagen. I'm here with Dan and it is wonderful to be traveling with someone. The first day we wandered through a lot of parks, saw art and had lunch at Ida Davidsons. We had traditional smoorebord and my smoked tuna with spinach and a poached egg was melt in your mouth delicious. We took a boat ride on the canals and that was a great way to see the city. We splurged and went to dinner at Famo, which is an amazing Italian place. They even managed to make something vegetarian friendly just for me.
We started the second day with a trip to Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, which is a beautiful mansion built in 1881 and later expanded to house Carlsberg's art collection. Yes, Carlsberg as in the beer. There are some works of art, like Edgar Degas' Dancer, that were unexpected finds.The cafe overlooks the winter garden, which is delightful. I decided that I was just going to move in. We then walked to Christiana, which is a pretty free spirited place. I was hoping to find some handmade goodness, but unfortunately there was none. Before that we stopped at a nearby bakery and I had a delicious smoked salmon sandwich on a fresh wholegrain baguette. We ate picnic style sitting on the canal and watching the guy across the way try to figure out how to raise his sailboat that had sunk.We meandered back to the hotel, walking down the main shopping strip and picking up a couple of presents. That evening we went to the Tivoli which is a very quaint amusement park. We sat on the grass and watched a vaudeville show for awhile. Then Dan tortured me by making me go on some spinny ride that made me want to puke. He then forced me to go on the swings and I spent the whole ride with my eyes closed. I feel like I've developed a fear of heights as I've gotten older. The bumper cars were great fun. We also went on a ride that was like a Hans Christian Anderson version of It's a Small World. The final fun was a roller coaster ride reminiscent of Big Thunder Mountain at Disney. That was my favorite. I had nacho chips and beer for dinner. Mmmmm.
The next day we had a bit of a late start and picked up the rental car and drove to Roskilde. I do have to mention that it took me awhile to put the car in reverse, because in the States the reverse is to the far right and down. Here the reverse is up and to the left right next to first gear. Well, if you do that with out first pushing down on the gear stick you end up in first gear and almost run out of room to figure out where reverse is. I am in love with GPS because it got us to the Viking museum without incident. The museum had 5 ships that had been found in the fjord. Originally they had been scuttled to provide a barrier against attack. Based on the remnants and other research the museum rebuilt one of the war ships and it sailed around to Dublin and then around the UK and back up to Roskilde. It was fascinating. The museum also had a fabulous gift shop. We stopped to eat a really late lunch in Roskilde and I had a salad and the house smoked Salmon. It was not sliced thin, like on a sandwich, but was a delicious chunk of fish. I think it is the best salmon I've had at a restaurant-ever. We then drove half an hour South to a town called Koge. Really, that is all I've got. There is a town called Koge with the largest square in Denmark and the oldest house in Denmark. So, we had some ice cream and then some beer for dinner. Tomorrow morning we plan to get up early and drive a couple of hours South.
We started the second day with a trip to Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, which is a beautiful mansion built in 1881 and later expanded to house Carlsberg's art collection. Yes, Carlsberg as in the beer. There are some works of art, like Edgar Degas' Dancer, that were unexpected finds.The cafe overlooks the winter garden, which is delightful. I decided that I was just going to move in. We then walked to Christiana, which is a pretty free spirited place. I was hoping to find some handmade goodness, but unfortunately there was none. Before that we stopped at a nearby bakery and I had a delicious smoked salmon sandwich on a fresh wholegrain baguette. We ate picnic style sitting on the canal and watching the guy across the way try to figure out how to raise his sailboat that had sunk.We meandered back to the hotel, walking down the main shopping strip and picking up a couple of presents. That evening we went to the Tivoli which is a very quaint amusement park. We sat on the grass and watched a vaudeville show for awhile. Then Dan tortured me by making me go on some spinny ride that made me want to puke. He then forced me to go on the swings and I spent the whole ride with my eyes closed. I feel like I've developed a fear of heights as I've gotten older. The bumper cars were great fun. We also went on a ride that was like a Hans Christian Anderson version of It's a Small World. The final fun was a roller coaster ride reminiscent of Big Thunder Mountain at Disney. That was my favorite. I had nacho chips and beer for dinner. Mmmmm.
The next day we had a bit of a late start and picked up the rental car and drove to Roskilde. I do have to mention that it took me awhile to put the car in reverse, because in the States the reverse is to the far right and down. Here the reverse is up and to the left right next to first gear. Well, if you do that with out first pushing down on the gear stick you end up in first gear and almost run out of room to figure out where reverse is. I am in love with GPS because it got us to the Viking museum without incident. The museum had 5 ships that had been found in the fjord. Originally they had been scuttled to provide a barrier against attack. Based on the remnants and other research the museum rebuilt one of the war ships and it sailed around to Dublin and then around the UK and back up to Roskilde. It was fascinating. The museum also had a fabulous gift shop. We stopped to eat a really late lunch in Roskilde and I had a salad and the house smoked Salmon. It was not sliced thin, like on a sandwich, but was a delicious chunk of fish. I think it is the best salmon I've had at a restaurant-ever. We then drove half an hour South to a town called Koge. Really, that is all I've got. There is a town called Koge with the largest square in Denmark and the oldest house in Denmark. So, we had some ice cream and then some beer for dinner. Tomorrow morning we plan to get up early and drive a couple of hours South.
No comments:
Post a Comment