Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A new culinary delight

I have to admit that the food in this country has been disappointing. The national dish is biryani and kebab. The rice is good, albeit a bit oily, and it is served with a side bowl of beans or okra or apricots in tomato sauce. The best I can say about the side dish is that it is edible. There is a pomegranate sauce that is quite tasty on salad. The morning dish of samoon, ishtar and date sauce is really good. Samoon is like a doughy flat bread and you top it with ishta, which is cream made from water buffalo, and the date sauce is thick and sweet. The only problem is it tastes delightful, but it is high in calories and fat and an hour later I'm hungry.

Then yesterday someone brought in a jar of figs that their mother in law had made. The figs were soaked in some sort of honey sauce. Most of you have probably seen figs at the market and wondered what to do with them. I would advise not buying them because they will never taste like they are meant to. Here you get figs from the market and you crack them open and suck out the insides. I cannot quite describe the taste, but suffice to say one is never enough. All of that tasty goodness soaked in honey made me skip for joy.

This morning I had the honeyed figs on my oatmeal with some walnuts and it was one of the tastiest breakfasts I have had here. Thank goodness for mother in laws!

No comments:

Post a Comment