I have no idea if that is spelled correctly, but that is what I say in Arabic when people offer me meat. I am a vegetable eater. Every time I tell someone I am a vegetarian they ask, "In Iraq-how's that working for you?" Quite well actually, except for the occasions when people try to force meat on me. I was worried that over the winter here the fruit and veg would get bad, but it wasn't too rough. Tomatos weren't quite as tasty, but there was plenty of stuff to eat. Now spring has sprung and tomatos are yummy again. Plus there are strange things popping up in the market. I'll have to take a picture and show you. I found something that has a stalk like rhubarb, but is kind of furry and has a top that makes it look like a sea anemone. I asked the guy at the market if I could have one so I could take it to work tomorrow and have someone identify it. Today I was trying to clean out the refrigerator and so I made a vegetable crumble. I threw a little extra garlic in (I mean come on-one clove) some mushrooms that were languishing in the crisper along with the onion, zucchini and tomatos and OMG is it good. Even with our oven that has no temperature control and started to burn the top before I could turn it down it is good. I made a swiss cheese omelet (cheese courtesy of the store in Erbil) with a side of dijon mustard and had a very satisfying meal.
I suggest you go clean out your fridge.
I suggest you go clean out your fridge.
No comments:
Post a Comment