The Louvre is exhausting. The bloody thing is huge. I got lost just trying to find the stairs to get to the top floor to look at art. I did manage to see the German, Dutch and Flemish paintings from the 1500s to about the 1800s. There were also some French paintings thrown in there. I then went down one floor to see the Italian paintings and yes, I saw the Mona Lisa. There were so many amazing paintings in all the rooms around her that I was kind of underwhelmed. It does not help that there is a huge crowd, it is behind glass so there is a glare and people are taking flash pictures. It's like a circus not an art gallery. I kind of wanted to say to the people snapping pictures, "did you not see the fabulous Delacroix in the next room", but I knew they wouldn't listen. The Louvre might as well chuck all the rest of the art and change its name to Mona Lisa. I'll just end that mini rant.
I did see the Winged Victory of Samothrace, which I admit I fell in love with. I took a picture of the Venus de Milo that I hope turns out. After wandering around for hours, sometimes in circles, I admitted defeat and headed off to Montmartre. This is also the point where I admit I forgot to go visit the Catacombs. There were about ten gazillion other things I was supposed to go do, but quite honestly the days I have enjoyed the most have been the ones spent in La Marais not dealing with the tourists. My next paragraph will sum up more touristy feelings.
I then went to Montmartre and I admit that I had not yet had lunch and it was 3PM. I also only had a pain raisin for breakfast and was dehydrated. As I left the metro station and headed up towards Sacre Coeur I wanted to stop and check the map and find some place to eat lunch. As I pulled out my guide book one of the street hawkers said excuse me, and I ignored him, he then grabbed my arm and I shouted do not touch me. I continued to walk away but at that point I headed up into the crowds and the stairs to Sacre Coeur. He continued to call after me Hey Big Girl. Yeah- Big Girl. Needless to say I was hot, hungry and really pissed off. I got to the top of the mountain and I admired the view for two minutes and then I wandered into the teeming mass of tourism. It just made me twitchy. I kept walking until I found a quiet street and stumbled across La Maison Rose. By the way, La Maison Rose just happens to have been painted by Marice Utrillo. I sat outside and had a nice omelette. I felt much better afterward and walked down to St. Vincent's cemetery. I was completely flummoxed though because there was just a high wall and no way in.
I started to try to pull out the map and see the sights, but I was done in. There have been very few moments where I just gave up on this trip and this was just one of them. I walked back the way I came and down the steps to head to the metro. As I was walking down the steps another street hawker did an excuse me and I ignored him and then he stepped in front of me and blocked me. The invasion of my physical space felt really threatening both times. I took the metro back to my neighborhood and stopped at the hotel to rehydrate. I then walked up to a boutique shopping department called Merci. They had some beautiful things, but most were outside my price range. I did thankfully find a very cute jewelry shop and I found a present for someone. I have not had much luck shopping and finding presents for people. It is hard to find something that is a step up from the 6 for 1 Euro key chains, but does not break the bank. Tomorrow I plan on wandering my neighborhood some more. I also want to try to find myself a little piece of art. We shall see.
I am starting to feel a bit sad about having to leave the day after tomorrow. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here but I have a feeling that I'll be back.
I did see the Winged Victory of Samothrace, which I admit I fell in love with. I took a picture of the Venus de Milo that I hope turns out. After wandering around for hours, sometimes in circles, I admitted defeat and headed off to Montmartre. This is also the point where I admit I forgot to go visit the Catacombs. There were about ten gazillion other things I was supposed to go do, but quite honestly the days I have enjoyed the most have been the ones spent in La Marais not dealing with the tourists. My next paragraph will sum up more touristy feelings.
I then went to Montmartre and I admit that I had not yet had lunch and it was 3PM. I also only had a pain raisin for breakfast and was dehydrated. As I left the metro station and headed up towards Sacre Coeur I wanted to stop and check the map and find some place to eat lunch. As I pulled out my guide book one of the street hawkers said excuse me, and I ignored him, he then grabbed my arm and I shouted do not touch me. I continued to walk away but at that point I headed up into the crowds and the stairs to Sacre Coeur. He continued to call after me Hey Big Girl. Yeah- Big Girl. Needless to say I was hot, hungry and really pissed off. I got to the top of the mountain and I admired the view for two minutes and then I wandered into the teeming mass of tourism. It just made me twitchy. I kept walking until I found a quiet street and stumbled across La Maison Rose. By the way, La Maison Rose just happens to have been painted by Marice Utrillo. I sat outside and had a nice omelette. I felt much better afterward and walked down to St. Vincent's cemetery. I was completely flummoxed though because there was just a high wall and no way in.
I started to try to pull out the map and see the sights, but I was done in. There have been very few moments where I just gave up on this trip and this was just one of them. I walked back the way I came and down the steps to head to the metro. As I was walking down the steps another street hawker did an excuse me and I ignored him and then he stepped in front of me and blocked me. The invasion of my physical space felt really threatening both times. I took the metro back to my neighborhood and stopped at the hotel to rehydrate. I then walked up to a boutique shopping department called Merci. They had some beautiful things, but most were outside my price range. I did thankfully find a very cute jewelry shop and I found a present for someone. I have not had much luck shopping and finding presents for people. It is hard to find something that is a step up from the 6 for 1 Euro key chains, but does not break the bank. Tomorrow I plan on wandering my neighborhood some more. I also want to try to find myself a little piece of art. We shall see.
I am starting to feel a bit sad about having to leave the day after tomorrow. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here but I have a feeling that I'll be back.
Yeah, you went to the Louvre! I agree that Mona Lisa is a bit of a let down. Is it still in the long hallway? Somehow, you imagine it will be large, but it's really a tiny painting, behind glass, with a row of 20 people in front of it. I hope your photo of Venus turns out- it was not on display when I was there (1/3 of the museum was closed for renovation). So, I went through the place quite quickly.
ReplyDeleteMan, the street hawker did not know what he was doing when he a) invaded your personal space, and b) most importantly- you were hungry! I thought everyone knew not to get in your way when you are hungry, just rush you to the nearest place where food is available and you'll be happy.
Sounds like you are still having a wonderful time and it's nice to be able to see at city at a leisurely pace, instead of rushing around to see everything.