Sunday, February 20, 2011

A look inside my mind

Ironically, there is a PhD student doing his dissertation on Iraqi police force training and he is here for four months. We've sort of adopted him. I think I see grants for doing police force training on human rights in our future. Here the police simply open fire on the crowd instead of trying to disperse protesters with tear gas or rubber bullets. The protests have been on the other side of town and so everything in our neighborhood has been quiet. Occasionally I can hear sirens in the distance, but that is it. Our staff have been wonderful keeping me posted on the news, because most of the news is in Kurdish or Arabic. For some reason what is happening in Sulaimaniya isn't making the headlines. Anyway, over the course of my life I have adopted the boy scout motto- always be prepared. I always carry an umbrella. In the pill box in my purse is every med that I may have need of. Anytime I go on a trip here I pack snacky poos and water. You get the picture.

We were talking today about exit plans and this is where my mind goes... Do you remember that scene in Gone With the Wind when the depot blows up and Rhett decides to be patriotic and leaves Scarlett with a broken down horse and a gun. That gun came in handy and so just in case the Yankees blow up the depot I think I need a gun. I should probably find a horse too. In my mind that makes perfect sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment