One of our staff invited us to his house for dinner. He used to live in Baghdad with is family, but because he worked with the Americans he had to move his family to Suliamaniya due to fear that something would happen to them. He and his family were so warm and inviting. It was a great honor to go to their house. It was also the first time I had a traditional meal, which meant sitting on the floor. One of his daughters was so sweet and recognized that I was wearing a skirt and brought me a cloth to cover myself. The food was absolutely amazing. It honestly was the best food I have had in Iraq. It was traditional dishes like tabbouleh, hummus, chicken, fish, eggplant salad and rice, but everything was so fresh and tasty. I cannot quite explain it. Most of the food I have eaten here has been greasy and without much taste. This food was just amazing. This is not something I can explain by describing taste, texture, smells and colors, but something from my heart. For someone who has had to uproot his family and move elsewhere to be still so kind to us foreigners is very heart warming. Their house was very plain but it was warmed and colored by their spirit.
That sounds amazing, and definitely a really nice memory of your life there...
ReplyDeleteNext step, find out how they make everything!