I miss you, drinking water out of the faucet, walking places, the fall farmers market and trying to carry as many pumpkins as possible home, morningstar breakfast sausage, the smell of rain, ice skating in grant park, being able to go to the pharmacy and get more nyquil, my routine, a medium dunkin donuts coffee with cream and sugar Monday- Friday and not having to say anything because the lady knows my routine, electricity, diners and a big plate of pancakes with eggs and potatoes, remembering to look up sometimes in the loop and be amazed at my brilliant city, being able to go out at night, calling people without calculating the difference in the time zone, putting up my 1950's Christmas tree, Wicker Park, thrift stores, really good drinks at the Violet Hour, buying local, seeing all the kids who call me 'Aunty', I guess if I say that then I have to add Adele and Prissy to the list, shoe shopping, speaking really fast English, networked computers, yarn, cottonwood trees, the lake, being able to get any type of food, and the first snow fall of the year.
There are things I have gained, like a greater appreciation for home, but I am definitely feeling a little homesick and I am happy that I will be there in nine days. Not that I'm counting!
You're almost there, hang in there! This whole experience will be so worthwhile I know it! And being home at Christmas with everyone will be even more special.
ReplyDeleteAnd when you're in the US, I really want a blog about things you miss, in Iraq. I know you can come up with a beautiful list like this one looking back the other way.
Cherish every moment, it's a chance of a lifetime to be there! And get yourself a camera so you can take more photos! ;-)